Thursday, March 16, 2006

Will he make the right decision???

Seeing the news tonight makes you step back and think; Wednesday March 15, 2006 in Nanaimo 3 out of 5 teens killed in a car accident with speed as a factor.....

Will my child be a teen killed in a car accident in 15 years? I hope that as a parent I am able to teach Zach right from wrong and good from bad. But I bet the parents of those kids thought they had, until the fatal crash. You can't keep them in a bubble until they are 19 so they "don't get hurt" but seeing things like this that happen far too often makes you really want to. It makes me sick inside for the parents of those kids for what they are going through, if only I had done this or that, if only we had re-inforced this or that. They are going through HELL....and I hope and pray that I don't face the HELL that they are experiencing. I hope I teach him well and he can make the right choices, I hope that he can experience all the things I have been lucky enough to experience and will continue to experience. I hope that he is lucky enough to have a beautiful boy such as he is and never has to deal with anything like this......and I hope he has the chance to worry, just like I do all the time.

Until the day Zach was born, I was living life for each passing day, never worrying about the future and what it may bring....Now I think of the future all the time...I worry about him all the time....I can't imagine my life without him in it. And it sometimes is a tragedy like this that makes you step back, appreciate what you have, and be happy you are not dealing with the loss of a child.

Each day, we make a choice on how we are going to ENJOY the day or PUT UP with the day. We make a choice on how we behave and what sort of impact we will have on someone else. An unkind word may be the last word that you utter or is heard, a dirty look may be the last time you see that person or are seen, or a missed moment may be the last moment.....The next time you get upset because your child didn't finish his/her chores, or didn't walk the dog or clean up the yard, or even talks back to you, be thankful that they are alive and able to do their chores another day, to walk the dog or clean up the yard another day and yet to be ALIVE to talk back to you ... another day!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lunchbox said...

If Zach were in a bubble, the first cold he caught at 19 could kill him. You know that!

Unfortunately, it seems a major factor in this crash may have been alcohol or similar impairment. And the severity of the accident - the car flipped completely over in mid-air to land on its wheels again after hitting a centre partition - suggests that they were travelling at a tremendous rate of speed -- not just fast, but Really Fast, and apparently much too fast for that stretch of roadway.

But do you restrict his activities to the point where his social development is retarded? No, because we know what happens when kids don't grow and develop emotionally, either, for one reason or another (they become grumpy, crotchety hackers).

So, just like his biological immune system, he needs interaction and experiences to thicken his skin, develop some immunity to the stupid ideas his bone-head friends will come up with (undoubtably friend with nicknames like Thud, Foetus and Gimp).

Hell, maybe he can save THEM from doing something as risky as speeding around town all blottoed.

Having a parent who would pick us up from anywhere at any time, no questions asked (immediately), that was a major factor in my life during times of near-idiocy. As long as you raise Zach under similar rules, he could, should be just fine.

Bit of a hellraiser like his folks, and that's just Karma, but generally fine.

5:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home